Re: [exim] AOL Scomp Technology

Author: Exim Mailing List
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] AOL Scomp Technology
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 01:17:38AM +0200, B. Johannessen wrote:

> Dean Brooks wrote:
> > I know that our policies as an ISP would be to blocklist all mail from
> > your servers if you were to send those kinds of notices to us unsolicited.
>
> Far be it from me to to defend Marc's folly-de-jour, but as I understand
> it, he's talking about sending what amounts to an automated abuse
> complaint, based on observed email abuse. As long as these are directed
> at one (or more) relevant addresses I would hardly consider this grounds
> for blocking. As far as I know, SpamCop does the same thing. Do you
> block them as well?

Mr. Perkel stated he wanted to report hacked sites and virus infected
systems (his words, not mine) rather than just reporting spam.

Beyond just that concern, however, is the fact that Spamcop and AOL's TOS
reports are based upon *human* identification of spam by the end users
who receive it.

I made the assumption (perhaps incorrectly) from Mr. Perkel's post
that he was interested in an automated way of reporting spam. That is
a completely different beast and is prone to a varying amount of error
if not done with a very delicate touch.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???