Re: [exim] Retry rules, feature request

Author: Stefan Klatt
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry rules, feature request
Hello Philip,

>> i have different retry rules for different situations/errors:
>>
>> *                       auth_failed
>> *                       tls_required
>> *                       quota
>> *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

>> At the moment a user get only the error message "retry timeout exceeded"
>> for each retry rule.
>> But which retry rules was used and which error happend?
>The information about the error should be in Exim's log. It doesn't log
>which retry rule, but you should be able to deduce that (or use -brt).
>> Or is there another way to get the right error message?
>For some people, "right" means "do not give out internal information to
>external users". In other words, they don't want details to be included
>in bounce messages. You can set smtp_return_error_details to liberalize
>the default a bit, but I don't think it applies in this situation.

Hmm... this kind of errors are harderrors that should solved immediatly
and nobody can do anything with the information "Auth_faild".... but for
me the admin it's really easier to find the error if i get any
information directly.
If a users says he has an retry error at this time... i must search :-(

Internal information.... what about the Information "User not exist" at
SMTP-Time? In my opnion it's necessary... but it's the same...

Messages for retry errors should be an option. Like messages at ACLs.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Stefan Klatt

CaC
Stefan Klatt                Certified Warp 4 Engineer
Triftstrasse 9                Certified Warp Server Engineer
60528 Frankfurt                Enterasys Partner
                    Bintec Partner

Tel.:        +49-69-67808-915        email: stefan.klatt@???
Handy:        +49-172-6807809        2:244/1140@fidonet
Fax/BBS:    +49-69-67808-835         2:244/1144@fidonet