Re: [exim] Retry rules, feature request

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Stefan Klatt
CC: exim-users@exim.org
New-Topics: [exim] SMTP after POP with smarthost
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry rules, feature request
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Stefan Klatt wrote:

> i have different retry rules for different situations/errors:
>
> *                       auth_failed
> *                       tls_required
> *                       quota
> *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

> At the moment a user get only the error message "retry timeout exceeded"
> for each retry rule.
> But which retry rules was used and which error happend?

The information about the error should be in Exim's log. It doesn't log
which retry rule, but you should be able to deduce that (or use -brt).

> Or is there another way to get the right error message?

For some people, "right" means "do not give out internal information to
external users". In other words, they don't want details to be included
in bounce messages. You can set smtp_return_error_details to liberalize
the default a bit, but I don't think it applies in this situation.