Re: [exim] Stopping arbitrary traffic

Author: W B Hacker
Subject: Re: [exim] Stopping arbitrary traffic
Steven Wayne wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 05:56:31PM -0700, Dustin Nicholas Jenkins wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the suggestion. No, the web server (Apache 2.2) is not
>>sending mail, but it's just serving static content and not intended to
>>send mail. Does that answer your question?
>>
>>I used to get a daily cron e-mail that I couldn't find the source of,

? Meaning it was *not* from your own server?

On FreeBSD, cron will typically generate 2 or 3 outbound reports
per each 24 hours, plus another partial set for weekly reporting.

AFAIK, Linux is comparable.

>>now it just gets into a mail loop and freezes the message complaining
>>of:
>>
>>'Too many "Received" headers - suspected mail loop'

Do you have something in /etc/aliases that might create a loop?

> How about showing us the headers.
>

>>Could the fact that I'm using DynDNS to manage my domain name?
>

> Probably not, but you would have to finish the sentence before I could say
> with certainty.
>
> Steven.

What does dig show you about your domain's records in the DNS
that your server uses?

and/or in places such as /etc/hosts, or otehr nameservers in
/etc/resolv.conf

Bill