Re: [exim] weird problem(faq 620)

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] weird problem(faq 620)
etienne@??? wrote:

> Hi Guys, i'm currently testing a content filter.
>
> Doing so, I have an exim router set up to send a copy of all the email messages
> to the content filter.
>
> When the content filter uses it's regular MTA, we are getting this error in exim
> logs:
>
> R=router T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
>

> When we change the contents filters MTA to a program that just accepts the
> traffic and dumps it, it works and we get: R=router T=remote_smtp
> H=router.host.com [router.ip.address]
>
> If no MTA is running, we get the same error as if the real MTA is running:
>

> R=router T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
>
> We are always able to access the MTA through telnet when we get these errors.
>
> This error message only happens when the exim router to send a copy of the
> messages to the content filter. We have no problem with our regular email, but if
> we leave it running while getting a lot of defers it will clog exim and will
> affect our normal emails.
>
> I'm not sure what to do and have no idea why the emailing fails.

Sounds as if the router/transport set you are using expects a
series of handshakes, or at least success/fail return-code that
it is not always being given back.

Is it the correct type of router/transport for what you are
asking of it? And is it configured to match or optionally ignore
what is / is not returned?

Bill