Re: [exim] line [x/y] splitting - conf option?

Autor: Chris Lightfoot
A: Rob Munsch
CC: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [exim] line [x/y] splitting - conf option?
On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 11:23:10AM -0400, Rob Munsch wrote:
> From docs:
>
> If you are running a syslog replacement that can handle lines longer than the 1024 characters allowed by RFC 3164, you should set
>

> SYSLOG_LONG_LINES=yes
>

> in /Local/Makefile/ before building Exim. That stops Exim from splitting long lines, but it still splits at internal newlines in /reject/ log entries.
>

> Is there a corresponding runtime directive in lowercase? I don't see it
> mentioned, and trying it results in
> main option "syslog_long_lines" unknown
> when updating the conf. Is there no way to accomplish this option
> without recompiling the production mailserver..?

Looking at the code, no: (log.c in 4.62)

    #ifndef SYSLOG_LONG_LINES
    if (plen > MAX_SYSLOG_LEN) plen = MAX_SYSLOG_LEN;
    #endif

is the only mention of SYSLOG_LONG_LINES in the code.

... well, you could disassemble the binary and nop out the
code corresponding to the above, but recompiling is
probably easier.

--
``Every public action which is not customary either is wrong, or, if it is
right, is a dangerous precedent. It follows that nothing should ever be