Re: [exim] Testing retry rules

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Dave Evans
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Testing retry rules
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Dave Evans wrote:

> begin retry
>
>   !*@+relay_domains      * senders=: F,1h,15m
>   *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,14d,6h

The use of negation in retry rule patterns is not something I had ever
considered. However, looking at the code, it seems that the pattern is
treated as a one-item list, and negation should work. Let's assume it
does for now. (I've made a note to check this out later, and document
accordingly.)

However, the problem is probably that the "senders" parameter doesn't
operate the way you think it does. (It doesn't operate the way *I*
thought it did, even when I implemented it. :-( )

The "senders" parameter is used when choosing a rule to use to set a
retry time. But that retry time applies to everything sent to the
relevant host. Thus, if you have several non-relay bounce messages
destined for some host, and that host is down, the host will be marked
"expired" after an hour, and this will apply to the next non-relay
message for that host.

The manual says:

Warning: This facility can be unhelpful if it is used for host errors
(which do not depend on the recipient). The reason is that the sender
is used only to match the retry rule. Once the rule has been found for
a host error, its contents are used to set a retry time for the host,
and this will apply to all messages, not just those with specific
senders.

I don't think you can use "senders" sensibly other than with an error
such as rcpt_4xx, which involves something other than the host.