Re: [exim] using exim to reject prohibited mail to Mailman l…

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users, Chris Lightfoot
題目: Re: [exim] using exim to reject prohibited mail to Mailman lists at SMTP time

--On 3 July 2006 17:19:00 +0100 Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Chris Lightfoot wrote:
>>
>> More generally this has got me wondering about how much of a
>> mailing-list manager could be implemented within a modern MTA. It is
>> painfully obvious that most of Mailman's queueing and aliasing stuff
>> could equally well be implemented with Exim and a database and suitable
>> transports. More difficult is what to do with the moderation queue
>> aspect of the problem, which is required in some mailing lists.
>
> Yes, the coupling between transport, database, and user interface is one
> of the nastier aspects of Mailman's architecture.
>
> Exim isn't quite studly enough to do all the things that Mailman offers,
> in particular attachment policies and general MIME mangling. If Exim were
> to have full support for SMTP extensions like 8BITMIME, BINARYMIME, and
> UTF8SMTP, it would have to have a MIME parsing and mangling
> infrastructure, and so fancy MLM stuff would be less of a problem to
> implement.

Well, that would be ideal, but actually probably isn't necessary if we're
just trying to solve the collateral spam problem. If a message is from a
person permitted to send to the list, then it *probably* isn't spam. That
means we don't mind sending them a bounce message. In fact, a bounce
message is likely to me more useful to the sender.

Obvious exceptions are where a well known address like postmaster@... is
allowed to post to the list.

--
Ian Eiloart