Re: [exim] Recursive Lookups

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Recursive Lookups
Timothy Arnold wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> I believe it is because we have shell users with individual alias/forward
> files. The system would need to know which user file to look at. I am not
> completely up to speed on how Exim should work in a multi-user environment
> so if you have any more suggestions, I would appreciate it.
>
> I think that Bill has clearly described the issues and I feel it will
> cause more problems than it solves.

If it is shell users and the system alias file, that's even more
reason to avoid it.

> How do other people deal with system users and multiple domains?
>
> Cheers
> Tim

We find it lower-maintenance to leave only one off-box address
in the system aliases file, map all other entries to that one,
(root) - then put per-domain 'postmaster', 'webmaster', 'abuse'
and any other shell account holder addresses into the
virtual-user DB just like any other users.

That satisfys chron'ed reports and makes managing incoming
bounces easier. Most importantly, it lets us manage everything
on one dataset and use a single, secure(able) UI for adjusting
settings w/o need for elevated/any system privileges.

(PostgreSQL in our case, but not required. Plenty of non-SQL
ways work also)

Bill