Re: [exim] Second silly question, logging rejects ONLY in r…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Rob Munsch
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Second silly question, logging rejects ONLY in rejectlog (not in mainlog)
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Rob Munsch wrote:

> >You do know, of course, that you can entirely suppress the writing of
> >rejectlog, I presume (write_rejectlog=false).
> >

> w'yeah, but that's kind of the opposite of the original goal :).

I realize that!

> I note that the same entry routing thru mainlog is mail.info level, and
> the rejectlog entries are mail.notice (this is when using syslog of
> course; -ng in this case).

I am not a syslog person and I'm not familiar with how it is used. It
was bolted onto Exim at some point as a result of user demand.
Consequently, I'm not surprised that it isn't compatible with "syslog
culture".

> All exim's log options seem confined to binary on-off switches; log this
> or don't, and if so, i'll put it where i goshdarnwell please.

Well, in the non-syslog world, there's only the mainlog to put it on
(with some duplication to rejectlog, but you can turn that off). I just
never thought (think!) in a syslog-ish way. Sorry. Old dog, new tricks,
etc...

> I'd suggest (which is why i jumped in here) using syslog-ng to modify
> its uncooperative output. We've a central loghost setup here, and one
> of the projects i'm planning time for is to see if i can use -ng to
> tweak exim's entries in the chost; organizing the format without
> dropping any info. Anyone else doing this..?

There are items on Exim's Wish List that are concerned with logging, in
particular to give more control. Items like this:

(301) 27-Oct-04 M Use an "ACL" to filter logging

But nothing has been done, as far as I know.