[exim] Spamassassin status header - confused!

Author: John Horne
To: Exim users
Subject: [exim] Spamassassin status header - confused!
Hello,

We are running Exim 4.62 and spamassassin 3.0.6. In our exim.conf we
have:

   warn    condition = ${if < {$message_size} {SPAMMAX_SIZE} }
           spam = nobody:true/defer_ok
           add_header = X-Spam-Level: ${tr {$spam_bar} {+/} {*} }

What I wanted was to have the default 'X-Spam-Status' header appear in
both spam and ham mails. Now SA will add the header, so the SA 3.1.3
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf man page says, by default for all messages
(whether they go through spamassassin, spamc or spamd). I've been
looking through old Exim list messages about SA/Exim, and as far as I
can gather using the 'spam =' ACL command should not remove any headers.
Yet, our mail messages appear without the X-Spam-Status header (or
indeed others like X-Spam-Checker-Version). Only X-Spam-Level appears as
configured above.

So the question is what has happened to the X-Spam-Status header? Can
anyone give me an insight as to whether the default SA headers should
appear or are they actually removed?

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839