Re: [exim] Exim install on a replacement server...

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim install on a replacement server...
John Clement wrote:

> Its time to upgrade the machine Exim lives on, and to be honest, it's a
> slightly daunting task as apparently its been on the same machine for
> nearly 7 years so there's loads of stuff on there that it does but
> nobody really knows about etc...

7 years on the same box says it has probably been regularly
updated on-the-fly. I'd also guess a BSD or 'commercial' Unix,
where this is a long, but not unique lifespan.

Anything else in 7 years of continuous service deserves to be
bronzed and hung in your trophy room.

Check your versions of OS, Exim, SA, ClamAV, etc. first.

If it is reasonably current, you may be able to migrate to new
HDD and box with very little pain.

> I've been doing a little admin on Exim
> for a while now, but I've never had to install it all fresh
> (SpamAssassin and Clam too), and I won't pretend to understand exactly
> how it all works and fits together.

Nearly all the work is in the configuration files and whatever
holds your user ID's. PWD's, and preferences.

Most of the rest builds with attention to just a few .configure
flags.

> Has any one written or come across a reasonable 'getting an Exim mail
> server working' guide? Any pointers and tips really appreciated. I've
> installed the latest Centos, just because that was what I had to hand
> but if anyone recommends something else I'm willing to give it a go.

What will be needed, and where to look is *heavily* dependent on
how current the versions you now have are, and whether or not
you are also changing the POP/IMAP and OS / rev level.

The wider the age-gap, the more work, and the more steps in the
process.

Do an inventory.

Bill