Re: [exim] exim / storage mail users

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim / storage mail users
azzouz wrote:

Replies on list, thanks. Quoting helps too.

> Tim Jackson wrote:
>> azzouz wrote:
>>> I want to centralise all data in a file serveur and want to have the
>>> mail service (exim and imapd) in another one.

>> This rather depends what your file server is, if it already exists. If
>> it's a "black box" then it depends how it exports storage.

> I have already a file serveur with HD SATA and 1 Gbit/s for the Nic card.

yep, but what is it? An off-the-shelf box? A machine that you installed?

> So if i anderstand in my case i have to use NFS.

If that suits you. You can also use iSCSI.

> are there other solution than NFS. I though something like systeme
> syncronisation ??

Not sure what you mean. There are many ways of synchronising data, both
live and offline and at both a file level (e.g. NFS) and block level
(e.g. iSCSI).

If you have a lot of CPU load, you could also have a "front end" machine
running Exim that does virus/spam scanning etc. and run deliveries to a
separate "back end" machine that handles IMAP. However, this isn't the
normal of a "file server" as you described; normally, when people
separate the storage from the applications, they want a "clean"
separation i.e. the machine that does the storage doesn't run apps like
IMAP, it just exports the storage via a mechanism such as NFS, iSCSI,
CIFS/SMB etc.

> what do you mean about : "maildir is OK IIRC"

I mean that if my memory serves correctly, maildir storage can be
successfully configured on top of NFS without file locking problems.

Tim