Re: [exim] Adding Headers in QUIT ACL

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Adding Headers in QUIT ACL
On 6/19/06 5:26 PM, "Marc Perkel" <marc@???> wrote:

> Sometimes I get frustrated with ACLs because there is such a variation
> from one to the next as to what works and what doesn't It's like every
> ACL has it's own language. And that the filter language is different
> from the ACL language. Sometimes my frustrations come out in my messages
> and I don't want to sound critical. So I want to apologize if I sound
> short and frustrated. I'm definitely pushing the linits of what Exim
> will do.

Hi, Marc,

The differences between the filter language and the ACL language come from
several factors. I am often annoyed by them, too.

One is a difference in audience: the filter language has as one audience
reasonably bright email users who know little about how to cause computers
to work beyond using the power switch. (Its other audience is the same mail
administrators I mention below.)

The ACL audience is experienced mail administrators (perhaps new to Exim but
not to email--perhaps then also needing mentoring), or beginning mail
administrators with a suitable mentor or mentors helping make them
experienced.

Another factor is time...the filter language is nearly 10 years old now, and
"can't be changed" without causing massive upset. New variants can be
introduced, as the ability to use Sieve for user-created filtering was.

And the needs of the ACL domain differ somewhat from the needs of the filter
(even SystemFilter) domain.

There is also a fair helping of TTWII (That's The Way It Is) thrown in.

--John