Re: [exim] cant send mail out unless i'm an open relay

Autor: John Burnham
A: Tommy Butler
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] cant send mail out unless i'm an open relay

>     They may be able to tell you much more easily how to
> achieve what you want
>     within the setup you have. If not, it will probably be
> the ACL section of the
>     config file that we need to see (along with any
> hostlist, domainlist etc
>     referenced within it).
>     John

> I've made my config available via the WWW for a time.
> Download at http://www.atrixnet.com/exim4.conf

Ok. Let's work through the ACL. The rejection message you see "550 relay not
permitted" seems to be triggered after getting through to the end of the
acl_check_rcpt acl with it having been accepted or rejected by any of the
preceding conditions. Now, let's examine the first few sections as they are
where I'd expect submitted mail to be accepted:

acl_check_rcpt:
  accept
    hosts = :

  accept
    hosts = +relay_from_hosts
    control = submission/sender_retain

  accept
    authenticated = *
    control = submission/sender_retain

So, the first condition
hosts = :
is a way of accepting locally submitted smtp messages (exim -bs and all that).
So, let's ignore that.
The next is
hosts = +relay_from_hosts

That says that mail will be accepted if it is received from a host that matches
that host list. You have that defined as
hostlist relay_from_hosts = localhost : 127.0.0.1 : ::::1 : 64.147.180.64/26 :
192.168.20.0/24 : 127.0.0.1 : ::::1
Hmm. Some redundancy there - you might want to tidy it up (remove localhost, the
second 127.0.0.1 and, if you're not using IPV6, both of the IPV6 addresses). But
anyway, does the host you're sending from match any of these ? If you think it
does, then we have a problem. You can run a simulated test by using
exim -d -bh ip.address.of.client
or
exim -d -bhc ip.address.of.client
(this one simulates callouts as well) and then simulate an SMTP conversation.
Read the debug carefully and see why it is being rejected.
Then there's the authentication. This means that any client that is able to
authenticate can send email through this server. Is your client using
authentication ?
Does that give you some ideas on where to start checking for yourself what the
problem is ? By the way, you have remembered that exim needs to be restarted or
at least sent a SIGHUP to get it to reread its config ?