Re: [exim] Waiting for Exim Banner

Autor: John Burnham
A: Christoph Purrucker, exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Waiting for Exim Banner

> I'm running exim4 for a while now, and it's really running
> fast. But some customers complain, that sending a mail via
> our server takes exactly 30 seconds before the connection has
> been established. I tcpflow'ed the connection with the
> following result: Two pairs of newlines will be sent during
> half a minute and after exactly 30 seconds the SMTP-banner
> shows up. Then it's going on fast.
>
> How can I find out, what's Exim doing during this pause? How
> can I stop this?

Heh, 30 seconds. Sounds a lot like ident - have a look through the spec for
rfc1413_hosts and rfc1413_query_timeout. It's probably down to your customers
dropping ident requests instead of rejecting them (a lot of 'security experts'
seem to suggest doing this with firewalls).
John