Re: [exim] Waiting for Exim Banner

Autor: Dennis Davis
A: Exim Mailing List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Waiting for Exim Banner
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Steven Wayne wrote:

> From: Steven Wayne <swayne@???>
> To: exim users <exim-users@???>
> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:28:17 +0000
> Subject: Re: [exim] Waiting for Exim Banner
>
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 09:05:20PM +0200, Christoph Purrucker wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running exim4 for a while now, and it's really running
> > fast. But some customers complain, that sending a mail via our
> > server takes exactly 30 seconds before the connection has been
> > established. I tcpflow'ed the connection with the following
> > result: Two pairs of newlines will be sent during half a minute
> > and after exactly 30 seconds the SMTP-banner shows up. Then it's
> > going on fast.
> >
> > How can I find out, what's Exim doing during this pause? How can
> > I stop this?
>
> In your exim.conf Look for:
>
> rfc1413_query_timeout = 30s
>
> and make it:
>
> rfc1413_query_timeout = 0s

Note that a setting of rfc1413_query_timeout of 30 seconds was the
default in exim-4.61 and earlier. So an explicit value may not be
present in the configuration file.

The default setting of rfc1413_query_timeout has changed to 5
seconds in exim-4.62.  I believe this change was made after some
discussion on this list.
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@???               Phone: +44 1225 386101