Re: [exim] Quick Question - Prohibiting users from sending e…

Autor: L. Jason Godsey
A: W B Hacker, exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Quick Question - Prohibiting users from sending email

--- W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:

> Troy Engel wrote:
>
> > Marc Perkel wrote:
> >
> >>I'm trying to prevent hackers who might get in from being able to
> send
> >>email if they manage to hack me. I want it so that unless they are
> >>specific users that they have no rights to connect to port 25 or
> run exim.
> >

> > Does this machine receive email? If not, then the solution is
> simple:
> >
> > 1) decide on a smarthost (another machine) to accept mail from this
>
> > IP/machine (ie relay). This machine could run Exim in normal mode.
> >
> > 2) configure Apache and Exim sending to use that smarthost, and
> only
> > allow root or apache to use Exim. However, I would recommend using
> > something like 'msmtp' instead of Exim to provide outgoing mail
> only.
> > (http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/) and not listen on port 25, it's not
> needed.
>
> No help. IF the box itself has been compromised, the perp has
> shell access. With that, Exim is not needed - they can install
> and run theior own smtp.
>

> > 3) use iptables to block any outgoing SMTP (ports 25, 465, 587) to
> any
> > machine other than the smarthost you decided on above. (see
> > http://oceanpark.com/notes/firewall_example.html)
> >

> Not 100% useful. MTA's *listen* (for other mx) on port 25. They
> ordinarily *send* on random ports well above 1024.

It is trivial to block all outbound traffic destined for mail ports,
then allow for certain local accounts.

> > Of course, if you need to receive mail on this machine then life is
> that
> > much more complicated, but still using a smarthost and iptables
> together
> > is your best chance at success. However, a hacker would most likely
> run
> > the receiving SMTP server on an unusual port, so you might have to
> use a
> > more hardcore iptables setup (ie disallow all outbound traffic
> instead
> > of what's needed).
>
> That last part is the hardest. Even IF one can configure the MTA
> to use a specific outbound port and close all others, it will
> relinquish that port between sending sessions.
>
> At that point, some other process has a chance of grabbing it
> and using it.
>
> Further, it is generally a safe assumption that any entity
> clever/patient enough to crack a shell account, can and will,
> escalate privileges, eventually to 'root'..
>
> To be 'certain', the box has to be constructed in such a way
> that even 'root' cannot add/alter authorized users, nor alter
> the config file, nor invoke other daemons ('coz there are no
> HDD, utilities, nor coms channels - only PROM). That spells
> state machine, and physically swapped PROMs, not in-place
> reprogrammable ones.

You can do this with both selinux and FreeBSD MAC extensions, I'm sure
you can do it w/ other systems as well but I haven't.

Both can be defeated by booting with single user mode but it would be
much easier for such a spam forger to swap the network cable into his
laptop and send spam if the purpose of his spamming is to defame the
sending host :)

Probably easier to guess the default password in the catalyst switch
and wreck havoc from there!