Re: [exim] Deleting outbound mail from 1 user

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Deleting outbound mail from 1 user
On 6/8/06 11:33 AM, "Aaron Crosman" <ACrosman@???> wrote:

>>> We're testing a mailing list package, and I've been asked to
>>> temporarily delete all the messages from the list. Basically they
>>> would like exim to tell them everything worked, and then pipe the
>>> email to /dev/null instead of actually sending it.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get exim to do this? I've been looking over the
>>> documentation, and I figured it out for inbound mail, but
>> not outbound.
>>> Suggestions on how to do this, or where to look are much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Inbound vs outbound is in the eye of the beholder.
>>
>> You're interested in routing to :blackhole: for the sender
>> after SMTP time (ie, in a special router). If the list folks
>> are testing with the mailing list doing VERP, you need to
>> take that into account in crafting the router.
>>
>> --John
>
> Thanks for the tip.
> Should something like this work as the first router?
>
> nilRouter:
> driver = redirect
> domains = ! +local_domains
> local_part = UserName
> transport = :blackhole:
>
> Aaron

No...local_part applies to the recipient.

You need the senders router precondition  (see the discussion of the order
in which preconditions are processed), or, particularly if VERP is involved,
conditions related to one or more of these--perhaps others--expansion
variables:
$sender_address
$sender_address_domain
$sender_address_local_part
or perhaps
$sender_host_address    (if the list software is on a different machine)

Things may be easier if the list folks only insist that you trap messages
bound for subscribers or would-be subscribers, not those bound for list
administrators. Or if the list software has its own domain, such as
lists.example.com (but then you're trusting the list's configuration).

And lots easier if the list software is on a machine that need not send
other mail (watching out for mail sent by cron-related stuff if that goes
off-machine).

--John