Re: [exim] Help setting up a backup MX server

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Help setting up a backup MX server
Hi,

Tristram Cheer <tristram@???> (Sa 03 Jun 2006 02:41:21 CEST):
> Thank your very much for this info, it's pointed me in the right direction.
>
> I have a question tho, what is the time delay in it tring to send the
> e-mails to the Primary MX? is there a command i can setup in cron to
> force it to every 5 min?

The generic answer is: exim will try to forward the mail according the
retry rules (see 'begin retry' in the config file).

In a normal setup and without previous errors it will try immediatly and
then with defined and probably growing interval.

And the attempts are subject to invocations of the exim queue runner
process (interval defined by e.g. '-q 30m' if you start it as daemon) or
by some crontab entry starting exims queue run.

[ For avoiding getting mails for tons of non existent users on your
secondary MX you should give it information about your existing users.
So the secondary can verify the recpient at SMTP time already. Either
by giving it database access (but avoid single point of failure if you
want your secondary for availability) or by simply doing callouts to
your primary with defer_ok=10s. ]

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -