Re: [exim] group daemon was not found ?

Autor: Pablo L. Arturi
A: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] group daemon was not found ?
> What's in /etc/nsswitch? It may be possible that you're not using
> /etc/group

/etc/nsswitch just doesn't exist.

> This will do a lookup of daemon from group according to libc's view of the
> group database.
> perl -e '(@a)=getgrnam("daemon");$"=":";print "@a\n";'
>
> My system shows this:
> daemon:x:1:

Mine is showing:

[root@ns1 log]# perl -e '(@a)=getgrnam("daemon");$"=":";print "@a\n";'
daemon:x:2:root bin daemon

if I understand well, exim says that for the command I tried (echo
pseudo-tst | exim -v -d+all-memory parturi@???) don't need
privileges, so it tries to switch to:

uid 8 which is:
/etc/passwd: mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail:/sbin/nologin
and gid 12 which is:
/etc/group: mail:x:12:mail

right? so if both user and group are mail, why it's complaining about
daemon?

I supouse after exim switches UID and GID it does a lookup of the group
daemon. So I tried adding root to mail user, but nothing. Even changing the
group from exim.conf line 617 gives the same error.

Well.. can't think of anything else.