[exim] smtp authentication with outlook express

Autor: Pat Hastings
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] smtp authentication with outlook express
HI,

I'm having a world of grief trying to get smtp authentication working
with outlook express. It works with outlook and thunderbird (though I
believe they use the plain authenticator not the login authenticator)
and I can get a successful authentication using exim -d -bs

Any ideas where I am going wrong? It is as if OE does not see that there
is an authentication scheme available as the error message that I get
back is a "550 - unable to relay message"

Here is the authenticator I am using:

login_server:
   driver = plaintext
   public_name = LOGIN
   server_prompts = Username:: : Password::
   server_condition = ${if ldapauth \
        {user="mail=${quote_ldap:$1},o=${extract{2}{@}{$1}},LDAPBASE" \
        pass="$2" \
        ldap://LDAPSERVER/}{yes}{no}}
   server_set_id = $1

Where LDAPSERVER is the ip address of the of the ldap server and
LDAPBASE is "o=email,dc=accesst,dc=com"

All the googleing I have done points to it usually being a problem with
the server_prompt but as far as I can see I have got it correct (tried
with and without double quotes).

Regards,

Pat

---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
currently using to read this email. ]