Re: [exim] Exim documentation is badly indexed by Google

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Chris Lear
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Exim documentation is badly indexed by Google
* Herb Martin wrote (22/05/06 13:31):
>> From: Miguel Saturnino
>> On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 12:13 +0100, Chris Lear wrote:
>> > I know I can grep the text documentation, and I can also search on
>> > exim.org directly, but I can't help thinking the world would be a
>> > better
>> > place if exim.org was better indexed by Google.
>>
>> I think the problem is manly due to having the mailing list
>> archives in
>> the same domain as the documentation. A search for "site:www.exim.org
>> exim transport_filter" returns 10,700 results! The problem is that the
>> first result pages are not the documentation but mailing list
>> messages.
>> Moving the mailing list archives to another domain, like
>> lists.exim.org, could improve the situation...
>
> Add an "inurl:" qualifier using "spec_html" as the value:
>
> exim transport_filter site:www.exim.org inurl:spec_html
>
> 3 hits (or 5 depending on how you or Google count);
> #1 is (likely) the answer for this specific example.
>
> Note: This method may suffer as the version numbers
> (4.61, 4.62) proliferate due. And due to the '.'
> character we cannot use the full version spec
> (i.e., exim-html-4.62 doesn't work) so we will eventually
> need to cheat a bit:
>
> exim transport_filter site:exim.org inurl:spec_html inurl:62
>
> With the "62" we get exactly THE answer, i.e., 2 hits,
> one in the index and the actual page, but I expect this
> was a bit lucky.
>
> BTW, this particular search works without the site:
> specifier but is not guaranteed to do that in general,
> or if there were mirrors it would give duplicates page
> references.
>
> If you try using JUST the "62" version qualifier without
> the "spec_html" you actually get the PDF specification
> file in addition so if wish to short it, this works:
>
> exim transport_filter site:exim.org inurl:62
>
> ...give 3 hits.
>
> And since pretty much every page at exim.org has
> "exim" we can remove the leading term (i.e., "exim")
> in most cases:
>
> transport_filter site:exim.org inurl:62
>
> Ok, I got carried away but this helps me clarify
> some things for myself as well. <grin>
>
> Hope it helps others at both Exim.org and elsewhere.

In FireFox, you can even create a bookmark with a smart keyword, using
this URL:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%s+inurl%3A62+inurl%3Aspec_html+site%3Awww.exim.org
I've made it use "exim" as a keyword, so I just tried entering 'exim
control relaying' in my address bar, and it came up with the answer to
Bruno Nunes' question about relaying (hardly surprisingly, since I fed
it the words on the card, but at least it works).

I still think we would be better served if searches for exim info didn't
suffer from so much interference that we need this sort of thing.

Chris