Re: [exim] Exim documentation is badly indexed by Google

Author: Herb Martin
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim documentation is badly indexed by Google
> From: Miguel Saturnino
> On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 12:13 +0100, Chris Lear wrote:
> > I know I can grep the text documentation, and I can also search on
> > exim.org directly, but I can't help thinking the world would be a
> > better
> > place if exim.org was better indexed by Google.
>
> I think the problem is manly due to having the mailing list
> archives in
> the same domain as the documentation. A search for "site:www.exim.org
> exim transport_filter" returns 10,700 results! The problem is that the
> first result pages are not the documentation but mailing list
> messages.
> Moving the mailing list archives to another domain, like
> lists.exim.org, could improve the situation...

Add an "inurl:" qualifier using "spec_html" as the value:

exim transport_filter site:www.exim.org inurl:spec_html

3 hits (or 5 depending on how you or Google count);
#1 is (likely) the answer for this specific example.

Note: This method may suffer as the version numbers
(4.61, 4.62) proliferate due. And due to the '.'
character we cannot use the full version spec
(i.e., exim-html-4.62 doesn't work) so we will eventually
need to cheat a bit:

exim transport_filter site:exim.org inurl:spec_html inurl:62

With the "62" we get exactly THE answer, i.e., 2 hits,
one in the index and the actual page, but I expect this
was a bit lucky.

BTW, this particular search works without the site:
specifier but is not guaranteed to do that in general,
or if there were mirrors it would give duplicates page