Re: [exim] Testing sending hosts open ports

Author: Alun
To: exim-users
CC: Richard Clayton
Subject: Re: [exim] Testing sending hosts open ports
Richard Clayton <richard@???> said, in message
1aQew$IOGeYEFA9F@???:

> >I was thinking of some way to examine the sender to see if it
> >looked like it was a home computer running Windows XP as opposed to
> >a server.
>
> to do this effectively on a machine in the UK would almost certainly
> involve you in committing an offence under the Computer Misuse Act
> 1990

On top of the legal and moral issues, hitting ports 135 etc won't be all
that effective nowadays, as they'll probably be firewalled by XP for most
home users.

That said, the idea of fingerprinting has been discussed here before, and
the friendly way to do it is passively, using p0f. I suspect that's the
question that Marc should be asking... though asking google first might give
the answer he wants!

Cheers,
Alun.

--
Alun Jones                       auj@???
Systems Support,                 (01970) 62 2494