Re: [exim] problems with retry logic

Author: Pavel Gulchouck
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] problems with retry logic
On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 04:35:40PM +0300, Pavel Gulchouck writes:

PH>> Exim always inspects all messages, but if one message has a temporary
PH>> error, the remaining messages will see "retry time not reached". BUT, if
PH>> they have been on the queue sufficiently long, they should be bounced.

PG> If the problem is still in 4.62, I'll tell you.

Situation did not change on 4.62. :-(

I have a message in the queue:

root@hamster:~>mailq | head -3
 7d  1.8K 1FZbrw-000HzZ-Up <>
          frenzy2008@???

root@hamster:~>exinext frenzy2008@???
Route: frenzy2008@??? error -44: SMTP error from remote mail
server after RCPT TO:<frenzy2008@???>: host gsmtp163.google.com
[64.233.163.27]: 450-4.2.1 The Gmail user you are tr
first failed: 29-Apr-2006 01:35:16
last tried: 05-May-2006 16:13:47
next try at: 05-May-2006 22:13:47
past final cutoff time

Then I sent another message to this recipient using command
"exim -d+retry -M 1FaiWp-000Msh-04" (got temporary error,
output is saved). After this message 1FZbrw-000HzZ-Up is still
in the queue and next try time was increased:

root@hamster:~>exinext frenzy2008@???
Route: frenzy2008@??? error -44: SMTP error from remote mail
server after RCPT TO:<frenzy2008@???>: host gsmtp183.google.com
[64.233.183.27]: 450-4.2.1 The Gmail user you are tr
first failed: 29-Apr-2006 01:35:16
last tried: 05-May-2006 16:49:04
next try at: 05-May-2006 22:49:04
past final cutoff time

The result is having many messages older then 4 days in the queue,
which can be removed only when next delivery trying to this recipient
will be with this messages, but not with any other. One try every 6 hours,
so, one removed old message to this recipient every 6 hours in the
best case. :-(

--
                                Lucky carrier,
                                                  Pavel.