Re: [exim] retry data of multiple MX

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] retry data of multiple MX
Patrick Okui wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 May 2006 14:18, Daniel Tiefnig wrote:
>> IMHO exim should never bounce a mail after trying only one of two
>> MX hosts.
>
> I'd agree with you if both the MX hosts had equal priority, but in
> this case I do not see why exim should try to deliver to
> mailbackup.inode.at unless there are reachability issues in
> contacting mail.rtr.at.

And I'd agree with that, if exim would not try to deliver to
mailbackup.inode.at (after a temporary error for user@???) at all.
But it only does not try the secondary MX if the primary MX failed "for
a very long time"(tm). And that gives very bad behaviour with a
greylisting MX and a not-greylisting backup MX. (Besides that being a
very stupid setup, yes.)

lg,
daniel