[exim] Outlook Problems

Author: Doug Jolley
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Outlook Problems
Hi --

I have Exim 4.60 setup to do login authentication
over TLS. If I use openssl to do an interactive
session and supply the appropriately encoded
login and password, I get authenticated just
fine. However, if I try to connect using Outlook
2003 v. 11, authentication fails. I know Outlook
is very particular about the server prompts; but,
I have been careful to follow the well settled
guidance on that issue. Can anyone offer a
suggestion as to what might be the problem here?

Here is what the authenticators section of my
Exim config file looks like:

begin authenticators

# Support for plain text password authentication.
  fixed_plain:
      driver = plaintext
      public_name = PLAIN
      server_advertise_condition = ${if
eq{$tls_cipher}{}{no}{yes}}
      server_prompts = :
      server_condition =
${lookup{$2}lsearch{/etc/exim/plaintext_pass}{${if
eq{$value}{$3}{yes}{no}}}{no}}

# Support for login authentication.
  fixed_login:
      driver = plaintext
      public_name = LOGIN
      server_advertise_condition = ${if
eq{$tls_cipher}{}{no}{yes}}
      server_prompts = Username:: : Password::

server_condition=${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/exim/plaintext_pass}{${if
eq{$value}{$2}{yes}{no}}}{no}}
      server_set_id = $1

Thanks for any input.

     ... doug