Re: [exim] This list is not abusive. (Re: Why is this list s…

Autor: listrcv
A: Ian Eiloart
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] This list is not abusive. (Re: Why is this list so abusive?)
Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 25 April 2006 15:20:32 +0200 listrcv <listrcv@???> wrote:
>

>>Marc Perkel wrote:
>>

>>>Comments like RTFM are neither polite or helpful.
>>
>>What's the consensus about quoting the documentation instead of pointing
>>to it?
>>
>>Ah, this isn't related to your quoting the wiki, pls don't misunderstand
>>me. I'm just curious if it would be considered appropriate quoting the
>>docs rather than telling someone where he can find the answer. In any
>>case, if you tell somebody where an answer could be found, it is the
>>same as telling him to read the manual.
>

> No, it isn't the same. "Read the manual" is completely unhelpful, unless

It is the same. Maybe I should have made myselfe clearer by pointing out
that I don't assume a general RTM to be helpful.

But quoting the manual or pointing to what otherwise would have been
quoted both imply a rather specific answer that can be as helpful as any
other likewise specific answer and still would be the same as requesting
that the manual should be read.

Of course, you can try to point out what the manual says in your own
words, and it may be more helpful than the manual. But if a question is
being asked that is already answered in the manual, isn't it more
reasonable to point to the manual or quote it than inventing it anew?
Then, if the person asking has trouble understanding the manual, he can
ask again --- or could point out having trouble to understand the manual
when asking.

And isn't it especially reasonable to tell ppl to read the manual (in an
appropriate way) when they ask unspecific questions (like 'How do I
catch fish?')? Otherwise, you would need to ask like 'What kind of fish
do you want to catch?' before you could answer. Such a question leaves
you with anything to assume, like that the one asking maybe doesn't know
that there's a manual available or that he doesn't know how to ask
questions. You might very well point him to a manual explaining how to
ask questions based on that assumption.

I don't even see a good reason to consider an appropriate pointer to
'How to ask questions' impolite, unhelpful, unproductive and the like.
Asking is actually something that can be learned, maybe even expected to
have been learned --- even if only for the sake of politeness --- before
asking questions about an MTA.

GH