Re: [exim] This list is not abusive. (Re: Why is this list s…

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: listrcv
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] This list is not abusive. (Re: Why is this list so abusive?)

--On 25 April 2006 15:20:32 +0200 listrcv <listrcv@???> wrote:

> Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> Comments like RTFM are neither polite or helpful.
>
> What's the consensus about quoting the documentation instead of pointing
> to it?
>
> Ah, this isn't related to your quoting the wiki, pls don't misunderstand
> me. I'm just curious if it would be considered appropriate quoting the
> docs rather than telling someone where he can find the answer. In any
> case, if you tell somebody where an answer could be found, it is the
> same as telling him to read the manual.

No, it isn't the same. "Read the manual" is completely unhelpful, unless
you assume the questioner doesn't know there's a manual. But then they
might have asked "is there a manual?".

Adding a link to the manual is slightly more helpful in that case, and also

Linking into the correct section of the manual is useful iff that section
clearly answers the question. Adding some reason, or explanation helps
more.

Quoting the manual probably doesn't help. A clickable link is just as good,
except where the recipient doesn't have web access (maybe in some remote
part of the world with dodgy Internet connections).

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex