Re: [exim] Maildir Quota excluding Trash folder.

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: Daniel Tiefnig
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Maildir Quota excluding Trash folder.
Quoting Daniel Tiefnig:

> Sadfully this is not the case with every IMAP installation out there.
> (Cyrus e.g. may use "/" instead of "." to delimit subfolders.)

This may be true for the frontend (IMAP), but surely not for the
backend, which is the only thing that matters to Exim. Cyrus uses some
proprietary storage, not Maildir(++). [1] says: "The name of the
subdirectory always starts with a period."
Only subfolders of folders are not defined: "Can folders have
subfolders, defined in a recursive fashion? The answer is no. If you
want to have a client with a hierarchy of folders, emulate it. Pick a
hierarchy separator character, say ":". Then, folder foo/bar is
subdirectory .foo:bar." All implementations I know of use '.' as
separator, but that doesn't matter for an LDA.

>> folders always begin with a period...
> And other directories may too.

[1] says: "Within each subdirectory there's an empty file,
maildirfolder. Its existence tells the mail delivery agent that this
Maildir is a really a folder underneath a parent Maildir++."

[1]: http://www.courier-mta.org/imap/?README.maildirquota.html