Re: [exim] SMTP error: subscribers are not permitted to dire…

Author: listrcv
To: exim-users
CC: W B Hacker
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP error: subscribers are not permitted to directly connect to this mail server
Tony Finch wrote:

>>When the original RFCs were written *every* Internet host had a static
>>IP. It was taken for granted. That was the way the Internet worked. But
>>there was no DNS...
>>
>>The newer RFCs don't mention this either (I suspect - I haven't read
>>every RFC).
>

> They do require that the MTA uses FQDNs practically everywhere, which
> pretty much always ties the MTA configuration to its DNS and IP address.

At home, I do that on the sending side, and it's independant from the IP
address. The receiving side has a static address and accepts anything to
mydomain.dom and *.mydomain.dom, from where I get the mail with
fetchmail. Having to use fetchmail and the misconfigured systems that
deny mail from dynamic addresses are the disadvantages. Otherwise, it
works perfectly well since years now.

GH