Re: [exim] How to configure exim in RHEL

Author: Cliff Pratt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to configure exim in RHEL
On 4/13/06, Slawomir Orlowski (Cympak) <sorlowski@???> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have new server with RHEL v4.
>
> Because I have always used exim as MTA (compiled from source) I did:
>
> u2date exim

THis installs the exim binaries.

> and
>
> with system-switch-mail I have switched to exim.

So your system now uses the exim binaries.

> Problem is installed exim is rpm. distribution, and there is not Makefile file,
>
> where I could change
>
> EXIM_USER=exim
>
> SUPPORT_MAILDIR=yes
>
> WITH_CONTENT_SCAN=yes
>
> AUTH_PLAINTEXT=yes
>
> AUTH_SPA=yes
>
> If there is no way to change this settings in rpm distribution because it is
> already compiled.

You can edit the configuration files and change the run-time behaviour
as you require. I believe it is in /etc/exim/exim.cfg or similar.

> What do I chave to change to make system use exim installed from source
> in /usr/local/exim directory ?

Why do you want to run the exim installed from source when you
installed the binaries? I must be missing something.

If you want to run exim from compiled source rather than the default
sendmail you can disable sendmail via chkconfig, then stop the
sendmail service so that it does not run.

Then create a /etc/init.d/exim for your compiled source so that it can
be started via 'service'. You will need to put the appropriate
comments in the front of the file and run chkconfig.

Alternatively install the binary packages for exim and edit the
configuration file as required.

Cheers,

Cliff