Re: [exim] SMTP error: subscribers are not permitted to dire…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP error: subscribers are not permitted to directly connect to this mail server
Menekhem M. Zviman wrote:

> Hello,
> My ISP, comcast.net, does not allow direct connection to their mail
> server.

Nor should they.

> Below is a log entry of an attempt to send mail via SquirrlMail
> -> Courier IMAP -> Exim.

In all probability, comcast.net expect a 'subscriber' to connect
from an MUA, and on the submission port, 587.

Exim, a 'client MTA' in this instance, will be attempting to
connect to port 25, hence is treated as an attempt to 'relay',
as comcast will see yours coming from within its own IP block.

comcast may permit port 25 instead of 587, but from within its
own IP block only with subscriber authentication (+TLS,
probably) IOW - login from your comcast account with ID & PWD -
which Exim, as an MTA, would not be offering.

Your immediate problem might be alleviated if you use an MUA
instead of an MTA - either on your own workstation, or *comcast*
Webmail interface, not your own - at least when sending to
comcast accounts.

And/or - order a fixed IP from comcast and have them enter a PTR
record for your domain.tld into their DNS.

- Which may have to wait on a spell of severe weather in Hell.

RFC-compliant MTA's are not expected to operate without a
fixed-IP and proper DNS entry.

FWIW, for at least the past six months we have logged massive
spam/zombie attempts from comcast.net, and not a single
legitimate message (before we finally blacklisted them).

That they are now blocking improper MTA use is a good sign.

HTH,

Bill