Re: [exim] sqlrelay

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] sqlrelay
Alexandre Busquets wrote:

> I would test with sqlite.
> wich is the string lookup
>
> Ej: ${lookup mysql{
>

> What has better performance with exim, mysql o postgresql

From decades of experience, we tend to prefer a proper
Relational Database Engine for SQL 'heavy' or general-purpose
use, (DB2, PostgreSQL, Oracle) and the Berkeley/GNU/CDB style
tools for lightweight or narrower-function 'bespoke' use.

MySQL is used for a great many purposes, but is actually
'neither of the above'. It has never been a player in the
'heavy lifter' RDBMS class, and I would be surprised if it was a
match speed/resource-usage wise against, for example, a CDB -
which is all that Exim needs.

We might not use an SQL DB at all, save that we have other
compelling reasons to have it on the server.

YMMV,

Bill