[exim] Plain Authentication Problems

Author: Doug Jolley
To: exim-users
CC: ddjolley
Subject: [exim] Plain Authentication Problems
Hi --

I'm tearing what's left of my hair out over this
one.

In /etc/exim/plaintext_pass, I have this line:

doug: sugar

If I put the following line in my plain text
authenticator and run exim in testing mode (-bh),
it works just fine when I provide the appropriate
base-64 encoded login and password:

server_condition =
${lookup{$2}lsearch{/etc/exim/plaintext_pass}{${if
eq{$value}{sugar}{yes}{no}}}{no}}

However, if I replace 'sugar' with '$3' so as to
do what I really want to do, the same
authentication test fails. It's as if $3 does
not have the value of 'sugar'. But exim tells me
that
it does as shown below:

AUTH PLAIN AGRvdWcAc3VnYXIK
>>> plain_text authenticator:
>>> $1 =
>>> $2 = doug
>>> $3 = sugar
>>>
>>> expanded string: no

I'd really love it if someone could tell me
what's going on here. Thanks.

     ... doug