Re: [exim] SMTP timeout sending mail to gmail

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP timeout sending mail to gmail
Avleen Vig wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 04:00:41PM +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
>
>>I suspect you are correct, and tcpdump may show it clearly.
>

> I don't think that should be the case.
> If Daniel is sending packets larger than 400 bytes, it is his OWN router
> that should complain that the packets are too large before they leave
> the network.
> By the time they get to the gmail servers, they should either be <= 400
> bytes, or they shouldn't leave his router.

Still worth a look.

Keeping in mind that a session should be two-way, what we saw in
our case was an imbalance, wherein the session fired up, but
then the distant end began to slow down and finally time-out.

Grant - in our case, we were looking at *incoming* traffic,
where the balance of packets was expected to be heaviest inbound.

His situation is, of course, the reverse.

- But I doubt gmail techs would run any sort of analysis, so..

Bill