Re: [exim] SMTP timeout sending mail to gmail

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP timeout sending mail to gmail
Avleen Vig wrote:

> I don't think that should be the case.
> If Daniel is sending packets larger than 400 bytes, it is his OWN router
> that should complain that the packets are too large before they leave
> the network.
> By the time they get to the gmail servers, they should either be <= 400
> bytes, or they shouldn't leave his router.

Yeah, I've had MTU problems with mail in the past, but they've always
caused timeouts on inbound mail, never outbound mail. Unless gmail is
trying to send you a reply packet larger than 400B, and that's what's
timing out, but I can't imagine a reply larger than 400B in a standard
SMTP conversion unless there's a large rejection message.

- Marc