Re: [exim] mail to myself is rejected

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Betreff: Re: [exim] mail to myself is rejected
Chris Purves wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. When I first started the post I hadn't
> considered that the cause of the problem was firewalling or interception
> of my messages, but that is what it appears to be, so it is not a
> problem with exim.

One tends to forget what is not 'in your face'.

'Sovereign Governments' - US, UK, EC as well as PRC, have
legitimate concerns about cross-border communications - and have
had absolute power to monitor and control them since 4WPM cables
were the 'bleeding edge'. 'Court Orders' not required.

Politics aside, one simply cannot expect to run an MTA without
'true' fixed-IP, DNS and PTR records any longer.

Fewer and fewer MTA will accept such connections, let alone the
traffic, and 'EasyDNS' operators are often blacklisted along
with dynamic IP blocks.

HTH

Bill

> W B Hacker wrote:
>
>> Chris Purves wrote:
>>
>> *trimmed*
>>

>>> My server (as well as myself) is located in Shanghai.
>>
>> - On an 'Allocated Portable' IP
>>
>> - In a dynamically-allocated IP netblock often denied MTA
>> connection by potential peers if not firewalled by the netblock owner,
>> the PRC Government, or some combination of the above.
>>
>> - In a country where one is expected/required to use their own
>> connectivity-provider / ISP for all outbound mail traffic.
>

>> - where the law (technically) requires you to register as an
>> 'encryption' user even for the use of an SSL cert. (Have you?)
>

> I hadn't considered that I would need to, but when I searched around it
> looks like I also need to register my website as well as my blog. I'm
> still looking for where and how I would do that.

PRC rules are usually promulgated 'top-down', with local cadres
or commercial service providers expected to handle the 'last
mile' of compliance. Few are where you can read them yourself.

Your connectivity ISP is almost certainly duty-bound to tell you
to just *stop it*, lest their own license is imperiled.

BTW - that is not just PRC.

*MOST* connectivity ISP worldwide ban MTA or website serving
that is not part of the 'virtual' package they issue to a
subscriber.

Get your ToS out, and have it translated if need be.

At least Mandarin is easier to understand, cheaper to translate,
and more consistent than US 'legalese', which hides stuff in
'plain view'.

*trim*

Bill