RE: [exim] feature request: set authenticated

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Steffen Heil
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] feature request: set authenticated
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Steffen Heil wrote:

> However, my feature request enables much more...
>
> I am just thinking, that I can READ every variable everywhere using
> $variable, why shouldn't I be able to assign them? (At least for most, this
> should not be a problem.)

Some of them are obviously non-writeable ($tod_xxx), others would
probably cause internal problems if changed arbitrarily ($message_id),
and so on. I am not sure there are too many that could usefully be
changed, and people might be confused as to which could and which
couldn't. Besides, it would all have to be documented.

I can see your point about "set authenticated", but as an OP pointed out,
it isn't too hard to wrap it all up in macros. It also seems somewhat
wrong to pretend SMTP authentication has happened when it hasn't.

I have noted this on the Wish List for the record, however.