Re: [exim] Disk failure => 5xx error code

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Rowe
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Disk failure => 5xx error code
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, John Rowe wrote:

> Before anything else, thanks to the exim authors for all their hard
> work.

Thank you.

> We had a problem yesterday when a disk failed and exim started rejecting
> all mail with a "Do not retry" (5xx) error code. The text indicated a
> "no such user" error. This stopped our upstream relay from trying our
> alternate host.

I'm a bit surprised that it gave 5xx rather than 4xx. It would be useful
to be able to find out why it did that. I have made a note to eyeball
the code at some point (but probably not before 4.61) to see if I can
see the reason. I supposse a simulated getpwnam failure might show it.

> I really want a total disk failure to cause mail to go to my alternate
> host not just bounce!

Perfectly reasonable!