[exim] Non existant email addresses

Author: Gururajan Ramachandran
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: [exim] Non existant email addresses
How do you handle emails sent to non existing email
addresses at your site. I used to find that our
outgoing email folder used to get filled all the time
as most of these emails must have been coming from
spammers and other malware genrators. When I reloaded
the machine, I created a system where emails sent to
non existent addresses would silently get thrown into
the trash dump.

Being a very small company, this works most of the
time. Of course, once in a while, a legitimate source
complains that they never received an error email
about a wrong email address.

How do you handle sending error back without ending up
sending error back to bulk emailers and so on? I
really would not like to go back to having the
outgoing email folder filled all the time trying to
send back error emails to non existent "From" email
addresses.

I am aware that I am proably violating some RFC(s) not
sending back error emails.

What if I setup the outgoing email queue to quit
trying after say 12 hours instead of five days? Or is
this just as much an unacceptable solution as throwing
away the emails?

Really need your input.

Guru