Re: [exim] Exim rewrites Return-Path when it's configured to

Author: Jakob Hirsch
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim rewrites Return-Path when it's configured to
Quoting Marc Sherman:

>>   control       = submission/sender_retain
>> Otherwise, Exim seems to take $authenticated_id and adds the default
>> domain.
> Actually, the best solution is:
> control = submission/domain=

In this special case, yes, if the authenticated id is guaranteed to be a
valid email address. But many setups allow authentication with the @
replaced by %, ! or other characters like that.

I'd prefer to block spoofed sender addresses instead of silently
applying such magic, at least unless there are many users with badly set
up clients.

> benefit is that when a user sends a message From: a shared role address
> (such as "ithelpdesk@???"), bounces will go to the actual
> sender, not to everyone subscribed to the role address.

Good point.
Personally, I'd prefer to do that explicitely (errors_to/return_path), I
think it's more obvious, but that's kind of personal taste.