Re: [exim] Customizing bounce message

Autor: Christian Gregoire
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Customizing bounce message
>> For security reasons, I need to remove the string "generated from AAA@BBB" in bounce messages :
>>
>> **********************************************************************************
>> A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients.
>> The following address(es) failed:
>>
>>   qasdezssqq@???
>>     (generated from AAA@BBB)
>>     SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
>>     host mx3.mail.yahoo.com [64.156.215.8]: 554 delivery error:
>>     dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account (qasdezssqq@???) [0] - mta316.mail.scd.yahoo.com

>> ------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------
>
>Exim manual -> Index -> bounce message ->
> redirection details; suppressing -> 213
>
>That leads you to hide_child_in_errmsg. Hmm. That does the opposite of
>what you want - it hides qasdezssqq@???, which is what most people
>want to hide for security reasons. After all, AAA@BBB was the address
>that the sender used, so why is it secret? However, for this particular
>error, there is also a problem with the error message, where the
>generated address is quoted again.
>
>Maybe you'll have to completely replace the bounce message. See section
>45.1 "Customizing bounce messages". No, that doesn't stop Exim including
>the error message either. Sorry, I think you'll have to hack.
>
>Well, maybe not. If you can recognize these messages in a router, you
>could arrange to deliver them via a transport filter that hides what you
>want to hide.

That's the point : I don't want the envelope address to appear when the email is bounced back to the sender.

Anyway, thanks for your help. At least I wanted to be sure that no option was available to do the trick. I'll have a look at the source code.

Christian