Re: [exim-dev] Changing received_header_text default?

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Changing received_header_text default?
On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:58:36AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Not sure what you mean by 'pretending the MIME structure of a message
> was correct, although it was not'. If Evolution is only folding
> whitespace, surely that doesn't affect the correctness of the MIME
> structure?

Once I had a mail with a broken MIME structure. I sent it to a couple
people, curious what their client would show. I was very surprised
when someone said: The MIME structure is fine, what's the point? Indeed
Evolution repaired it, and saying "show message source" showed the
repaired version - not the source present on the IMAP server.

Originally, we talked about seeing unfolded headers and I said: You
should never see folding in the regular display, only when looking at
the message source. But be aware of Evolution, as it may not show the
true source, but some screwed up version, and staying silent about that.

And since clients should show headers unfolded in the regular display,
folding with a tab causes ugly results. Evolution implements *that*
right and many other clients don't. That's why I say: Let's use spaces
to fold headers, not tabs, being nice to users. And an amazing amount of
users looks at "Received:" these days.

Michael