Re: [exim] SA causing Exim 421 timeout/frozen messages

Autor: Jeff Lasman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] SA causing Exim 421 timeout/frozen messages
On Tuesday 28 February 2006 07:25 am, Tim Jackson wrote:

> Whilst this isn't really addressing your actual problem, you could/
> should consider switching to use Exim's built-in content scanning
> extensions if you can and do spam scanning at SMTP time.

(I wrote the exim.conf in question.)

I'm willing to do that at SMTP time, but I don't know if I can do that
and still keep the distribution of the spam the way the server
(DirectAdmin; http://directadmin.com/) does it now. I suppose I can
add headers at data time but I'm not sure and haven't had the time to
look it up <frown>. I don't have anything to do with the company that
writes DirectAdmin so I'd rather not make any changes that requires
changing the way DirectAdmin works.

> The
> "communication" path between Exim and SpamAssassin is simpler then,
> and there's less to go wrong. Additionally, at a quick glance, it
> looks like your current setup (when it works) is probably bouncing
> detected spam to the "senders", which is a Bad Thing to do,

I sure hope that's not an option. It shouldn't be. I don't use the
latest copy of DA so I'm not sure. Bradley?

> Rejecting
> stuff at SMTP time (rather than accepting the message and running it
> through SA at a later point in time, as you're currently doing) is a
> good idea if you can do it.

Yes, I can do it, but I need to offer the option of not rejecting it,
but delivering it. And that's what I'm not sure how to do at smtp data
time. Help appreciated <smile>.

--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
1254 So Waterman Ave., Suite 50, San Bernardino, CA 92408