Re: [exim] Re: Sending mail through a smarthost with TLS

Autor: Matthew Ford
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: Sending mail through a smarthost with TLS
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Matthew Ford wrote:

> > > What should I do to get my TLS and authentication working?
> >
> > Looks like your remote host is not providing TLS (using the
> > STARTTLS command) but the (non-standard) ssl-on-connect. Exim does not
> > support SSL-on connect as client, you'd need to plug-in stunnel in
> > between.

Thanks everyone for helpful suggestions. I installed stunnel, and can now
send mail to the remote ssl-on-connect host.

For the benefit of anyone else with the same problem, I found the
following page helpful, though their init.d script had to be hacked a bit
for my Redhat system, and their stunnel command-line options don't seem to
exist in my version of stunnel:

http://www.technovelty.org/linux/tips#exim4ssmtp

My stunnel configuration file is:

client = yes
[smtp]
accept = 465
connect = smtp.myrelay.com:465

(NB it doesn't work if the option "protocol = smtp" is included).

Matthew.