[exim] Re: Sending mail through a smarthost with TLS

Autor: Matthew Ford
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: Sending mail through a smarthost with TLS
Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Matthew Ford <m.ford@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > SMTP timeout while connected to smtp.myrelay.com [111.222.333.444]
> > after initial connection: Connection timed out
> >
> > What should I do to get my TLS and authentication working?
>
> Looks like your remote host is not providing TLS (using the
> STARTTLS command) but the (non-standard) ssl-on-connect. Exim does not
> support SSL-on connect as client, you'd need to plug-in stunnel in
> between.

When I telnet to my remote host on port 465, I just get the following, and
nothing more...

Trying 111.222.333.444...
Connected to smtp.myrelay.com (111.222.333.444).
Escape character is '^]'.

Does this confirm that my host is using ssl-on-connect? (NB I know the
host works, because I am sending this message through it with Pine!)

I'll hunt around on Google to find some instructions for setting up
Stunnel with Exim... (unless you already know a good reference?)

> Are you positive that the remotehost does not provide TLS on either the
> SMTP (25) or message-submission (587) port?

On port 25, yes - but that is blocked by my ISP (I am receiving my
incoming mail on another non-standard port via a relay service). There is
no response on port 587.

thanks,
Matthew.