Re: [exim] Not frozing on unexistent user

Autor: Peter Bowyer
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Not frozing on unexistent user
On 20/02/06, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@???> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 20:58 +0000, Peter Bowyer wrote:
> > verify = recipient/callout
>
> One should never say the above without explicitly including the
> 'use_sender' option -- since recipient verification without use_sender
> is fairly much broken.
>
> verify = recipient/callout,use_sender

I'm not sure I agree - in my case (which appears to be similar to the
OPs, and is certainly a common usage pattern), the use of recipient
verification between edge MXs and mailbox servers, both under my
control, is quite OK using the null sender. All the processing
(including special handling for bounces) that's going to get done is
done on the MX; the verification step is only there to check for
non-existant localparts.

In fact, I suspect that use_sender would render this mechanism less
efficient because of caching - once a single localpart has been
discovered non-existant, I want it to stay that way for all senders.

Happy to agree that other patterns do require use_sender, but it's not
universal.

Peter
--
Peter Bowyer