Re: [exim] 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 30 second wait for protocol timeout exceeded
On 2/15/06 8:58 AM, "Daniel Tiefnig" <exim@???> wrote:

> Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 16:36 +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
>>> Do you think I should change the default to 5s?
>>
>> Personally, yes. I don't think there are many sites for whom that is
>> both useful and they don't come back within 5 seconds.
>
> I'd vote to disable ident lookups by default if noone stands up shouting
> "ident lookups are great, don't turn them off!". Considering these DO
> cause problems for the unwary, (allthough 5sec wouldn't be as bad as
> 30sec are) one may argue people that want ident lookups should activate
> them deliberately.

My knee-jerk reaction was to say don't make that sort of change. I think I
was wrong.

A default config change is not nearly so scary in the default config file as
a change to code behavior not covered in the config. There should be very
few existing sites where a new Exim is run from the new default config. (I
run a diff between the old default config and the new, to see if there are
any exciting new lessons to be learned that way, but we use our old config,
tuned up as needed.)

And packagers such as Debian quite likely already deal with this option in
their configuration system (or would, upon seeing the change).

I would favor at least a reduction to something under 10 seconds, but
probably a setting to 0.

However, I think the change, if made, should be in Exim 4.7, (new
documentation) not 4.6.x.

--John